Search This Blog

Saturday, July 8, 2017

When I Was A Bridal Consultant

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

See: How To Leave A Comment On This Blog

BLOGGERS - JOIN MY NEW FACEBOOK GROUP - Click here.


A few years ago, I got a job as a bridal consultant.  It was a lot of fun!



There was extensive training including each of us getting to play "bride".  Their sample size gowns went from size 2 to size 26 and sometimes larger, so there was something for everyone!


Many bridal salons are now carrying sample gowns in plus sizes.  It's absurd to expect every person to be no more than a size 7.  The majority of people wear a larger size.

When I mentioned that we all got to play "bride" in training, many asked, "how did you wear sample gowns?"  Easily, I just chose one in my size!
  • I've always loved planning fun events.  
  • I've always loved fashion and weddings. 
  • I've always loved working with the public. 

It was the perfect job for me.  Except, it was extremely difficult to stand up and walk each sift with the problem with my leg. I kept trying, but it was very painful.


After all that training, I felt bad leaving so I tried to stick it out. (See You Should Have Demanded... Part One)  I also loved the job.  I was doing well, too.

I was just about coming to the point where I had to admit I just couldn't do it when the decision was made for me.  I got injured on the job.  


It was our job to put the salon back in order after hours. Someone had left one of the designer wedding gowns hanging on the end of a rack.  It wasn't hung up correctly on the hanger, but no one could tell.


When I went to lift the gown to put it where it belonged, half the gown fell off the hanger yanking my arm and shoulder down.  I injured my shoulder.  I wound up going out on Worker's Comp.  This was a very heavy, expensive, designer gown with a lot of embellishment (which caused the weight).


Eventually, after several failed attempts at doing an MRI, I just ignored the pain and dropped the Worker's Comp. case.  Back then, they wouldn't do an MRI with sedation.  (See I SEE GISTS - Many, Many GISTS)

I then took a job where I would be at a desk all day, a job I had been attempting to get for a long time (it takes everyone a few years).


Today, I watch bridal shows on TV.  My favorites are Say Yes To The Dress and Four Weddings. When I was a kid, early teens, my cousin and I would buy bridal magazines and sit for hours going through them picking our gowns and "planning weddings" together.   

photo courtesy of Say Yes To The Dress website
Nothing was more fun than helping a bride choose her wedding gown.  When they would find the perfect gown, it was such a joyous moment. I love working with people, especially during happy occasions. (See Finally!)


I miss working very much. (See 10 Signs It's Not A "Real" Disability!!!!! TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR HEALTH!)

I loved helping people (I helped people in all my positions from when I started babysitting at age 12, waitressing at age 16, working in insurance over 25 years in various positions, as a bridal consultant, in my government job and finally as a travel agent).  (See Do It Your Way!)


Now... I live vicariously through others!  Many of my family members took a trip to Punta Cana.  I couldn't go.  But I enjoy seeing all their pictures and videos and am happy for the fun they can have! (See My Unique Way Of Relaxing)


July is UV Safety Month!  Do you know how to protect your skin?  

Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)

Other Posts You May Be Interested In Below:  SEE SIDE BAR FOR MANY MORE POSTS








Visit My YouTube channel:

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to work as a bridal consoltant, I'm currently planning my wedding for next year and I just don't even know where to start with dresses to suit me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. My advice is to make an appointment at a bridal salon and try on various styles. Keep in mind, never judge by what something looks like in a picture or on a hanger. Try on, it looks different on. You will see what styles and fabrics look best on you and get to understand what you like as far as embellishments. Some love lace, some love sparkle, some want a very plain gown. You won't know until you try! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bridal consulting sounds like a great job - sorry your health got in the way with this wonderful opportunity. Thanks for sharing at The Blogger's Pit Stop! Roseann from www.thisautoimmunelife.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun and also very exciting and happy. Unfortunately, these days, my health gets in the way of me doing any job.

      Delete