Search This Blog

Monday, May 15, 2017

My Sister's Ingenious Solution!



We all got together for Mother's Day at my sister's house.  Generally, if anyone is cooking anything containing gluten, they must cook it in a different house. (See Oh, I Know, You Have Celiac Disease. Umm, No, Not Exactly and That Doesn't LOOK Gluten Free)  In fact, I can 't even smell it.   

Gluten is the worst for me.  Even if it's in the air from cooking, I have problems.  I'm allergic to gluten, nuts, soy, corn and eggs, however, I can be around those other things if they are cooking with them, I just can't ingest them.  


It makes things more difficult for the cooks.  It's ALWAYS difficult for me, in fact, it's like a fiasco. 


My mom, two sisters and my sister's mother-in-law were all making dishes for Mother's Day.  My sister decided on a beef stroganoff dish with noodles.  It required the use of flour.  That was a problem.  


So, she came up with an ingenious solution!  She bought a large hotplate from Sam's Club and cooked the part that required flour outdoors on her deck!  She closed the windows and doors so nothing would drift inside.  

She posted the above picture on Facebook with this caption, "There you go Doreen. My outdoor cooking station for you. I don't want to hear any coughing now."  


Coughing is putting it mildly.  Ingesting or even smelling gluten causes severe choking, difficulty breathing and swelling.  It  sometimes requires a trip to the Emergency Room via ambulance. It all causes terrible anxiety for me and everyone around me. 

Luckily, the weather held up yesterday and she was able to cook outdoors!  Great idea, sis!  
l - r - top sausage & peppers, chicken, beef stroganoff with noodles
l - r - bottom penne alla vodka, vegetables in sauce, salad
We had a wonderful Mother's day, no ambulances involved, THANKFULLY!  (See Magnificent Moms)  

My meal I made for myself in my New Wave oven - organic chicken thighs and red potatoes.
I couldn't eat any of the food, as usually, but I'm used to that. 
not actual desserts served
I didn't get to take pictures of the desserts as I left the room for a while and when I came back, everyone had already dug into them! My mom made rice pudding and banana pudding.  My sister also ordered a cheesecake for my mom as a gift for Mother's Day.  


Well, I couldn't eat any desserts either, of course.  But, dammit, if everyone else was going to enjoy a banana dessert, I was eating bananas too!  

Stay tuned for an update.  My third visit with my new doctor and why I was able to eat what I did on Mother's Day!  (See My Second Visit With the Extraordinary New Doctor April 21, 2017)


One of my Mother's Day gifts pictured above.  My daughter gave this mug to me.  I found it hysterical.  Thankfully, it's all in good fun.  Neither of my children were spoiled, annoying, or bratty. Maybe a little bit whiny at times!  I also received a really nice gift certificate and flowers!  My son and daughter got me wonderful presents!

I gave my mom a bouquet of flowers, a card and a dinner bell she has wanted! 


The best gift though, was having my mom, my children and my whole family with me!   




See: How To Leave A Comment On This Blog


Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)

Other Posts You May Be Interested In Below:  SEE SIDE BAR FOR MANY MORE POSTS








Visit My YouTube channel:

1 comment:

  1. Its a very nice list of solutions. you can also find here how to make homemade Caramel Cheesecake Bites.

    ReplyDelete