Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 26, 2017

How I Dealt With The Easter Holiday


How I dealt with the Easter Holiday..

My mom made most of our clothing, especially for holidays  She used a lot of McCall's patterns.  We always had pretty dresses for Easter. 
My mom made these outfits for me, my cousins and my sister for New Year's Eve one year.  l - r,   me, my cousin, my cousin, my sister up front - Queens, NY circa 1969
As a kid, Easter was so much fun.  Easter morning we had an Easter egg hunt.  We received big baskets filled with toys and some candy.  We got to dress up and the best part, we headed into Queens to my grandparents house to spend the day with family!
Circa 1990 - Easter Sunday in the park, Queens, NY.  These kids are all adults now. 

l - r top circa 1989, my son wearing my niece's bonnet and purse.  1977, at my grandmother's house.
l - r bottom circa 1989, my son in his Easter suit, circa 1997, my nephew, my son and my daughter.
When we were little and when our own kids were young, the tradition was to go to the park after dinner. We used to eat dinner early afternoon and after dinner it was customary to take the kids to play! Chasing little ones around a park was not only fun, it was a great way to burn off dinner!

Easter Pies
We have a tradition in our family.  The night before Easter, in a household of  people of Italian descent, we have what is known as Easter pies!  I used to LOVE Easter pies.  We ate a variety of pies that were amazingly delicious for dinner.

How To Make Pizza Rustica - Laura Vitale

My favorite was always Pizza Rustica!  Yes... it's a heart attack on a plate, but we ate it once a year and we worked it off, no worries!

These days, I can't eat any of it. (See Oh, I Know, You Have Celiac Disease. Umm, No, Not Exactly) It's loaded with GLUTEN - the enemy.  (See That Doesn't LOOK Gluten Free)  In fact, I can 't even smell it.


In order for me to be with the family, they cannot cook these things in the same house we will be celebrating in.  Just smelling it sends me into an allergic attack, even hours, up to the next day after cooking. (See Family Birthday Celebrations)   My sister had to cook everything at my mom's house, so I could join them at her house.  Obviously, I couldn't eat anything.  (See Congratulations! You Just Gave Birth To....)



Have you ever gone to any gathering, holiday, celebration and not eaten ANYTHING, ever?  I have. I do it all the time.  Think about it. The next time you are at any type of event, don't eat or drink ANYTHING!  Sit back and watch everyone else enjoy and don't touch one thing offered.  Sounds like fun, doesn't it?  NOPE.
Appetizers and a Dinner dish
Dinner 
Dinner

Dessert
Look at the food, smell the food, however, don't eat one thing, not even a taste.  That's my life.  I can't eat anything not made by me and now that IT is acting up again (See IT Struck Again Last Night - What Is IT????), I am even more limited.  As long as there's nothing steaming hot that contains gluten, I'm ok smelling some of the foods, but I still can't eat any.

I have issues with gluten, nuts, soy, corn and eggs and also IT,  I also have problems with many medications and sulfates.

I'm cool, I drink my nutrition out of a Budweiser glass!
I can't eat anything other than my pasta and potatoes. Hence the nutrition the doctor has me on.(See Congratulations! You Just Gave Birth To....)


Click Video


I cope by amusing myself in other ways.  I love taking pictures, of food and people.  I also love taking video.  I busy myself doing that.  It keeps my mind occupied while everyone is eating.  


On the night before Easter, I enjoyed the fun conversation, watching the coloring of the eggs, photographing it all, and the laughs and even the dogs (which are part of the family).  I had fun.  I am thankful I could be there.  

Click Video

On Easter Sunday, again, I busied myself with things OTHER THAN food.  We are usually a nice crowed of people, 30 to 40 plus most holidays.  With that amount of people, we find it easier to serve on paper plates and use plastic utensils and cups!  It makes clean up faster and easier and we have time to get to fun activities.  

Again, all the cooking was done in other homes and we celebrated at my sister's house.  I ate my pasta again.  I want to PUKE on pasta and potatoes at this point, but, I was hungry, so I ate it.  

baseball, soccer, basketball and bike riding were going on.  Also, walks around the neighborhood. 
My joy was watching the "kids" have fun,and enjoying all the company.  That is how I dealt with the Easter holiday.  I looked at the positive. I was thankful to be alive.  I was thankful for my family and friends.  


Would I have loved to enjoy the food too?  You bet your sweet butt I would have, just like YOU and ANYONE.  After all, food plays a big part in life (See Family, Friends, Food And Fun!)  

Me on my first cruise, 1985

Me at an engagement party, 1997
I  DESPERATELY LONG  to be normal  again, like I was back in the day.  I can't take a cruise now. I can't eat a thing.  What if I have an attack in the middle of the ocean?  In one of the above pictures, I'm holding a cigarette (I quit in 2001) and drinking a screw driver.  NORMALCY.  It's what we all do when we go out to have fun!  I also danced my butt off and I can't do that anymore either.  I do MISS it all.


But, alas, we must stay positive.  I'm doing my best to deal with the anxiety.  I'm seeking help for it.  I mean, how many people out there are terrified to put anything into their mouths?  Well... I am. 

Things could be worse.  I haven't died, (See Divine Intervention? Amazing Luck? Or Was It Jinxed Real Estate? You Decide)  I have taken about eight cruises so I did get to experience it, I traveled a lot, I danced until the wee hours of the morning many, many times, I got to try many different cuisines from around the world.  I'm happy I was able to experience all of it. 

You need to keep in mind the Pros and Cons and count your blessings. 


I'm hopeful that this new doctor is on the right track and will be able to help me in some way!  

DETAILS of my second appointment with the new doctor coming soon.  Stay tuned...



Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)


5 Signs You Need To Go To The ER For An Allergic Reaction


What Is A Compounding Pharmacy And Do You Need One?


The Snowstorm That Wasn't - The Allergy Attack That Was


The Family I Haven't Met Yet





Wanted - Short, Dark-haired, chunky woman... You Won't Believe Witness Descriptions!


Gluten Fee Vegetable Crockpot Lasagna - All Organic


Valentine's Day With Allergies???????


Where Do I Shop For Organic, Gluten Free, And More...


Snowstorm Anxiety When You Have Allergies, Asthma, Hashimotos, Cellulitis Issues


What About Restaurants, Parties, Invites And Public Places?




Back To Basics - Organic Baby Food? The Holistic Approach


Organic, Gluten Free Crockpot Lasagna in about Three Hours




No comments:

Post a Comment