Search This Blog

Friday, September 1, 2017

The Neuropsychologist and the Nutritionist

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

See: How To Leave A Comment On This Blog

BLOGGERS - JOIN MY NEW FACEBOOK GROUP - Click here.

To follow my story: (See Someone Asked Me Today How I Deal With...)


Neuropsychologist

I saw the Neuropsychologist a week ago today.  I spent three hours taking various tests with a person I am assuming is some sort of technician who administers these types of tests.  She was very nice, personable and professional.  


The tests reminded me of being in kindergarten or first grade!  It was fun and funny.  I played games like trying to remember a list of words, trying to remember pictures, etc.  I answered a questionnaire of about 500 questions, yeah, I know, damn that's a lot of questions.  That office knows more about me than my mother and husband!!!!!!  Hell, I figured some stuff out myself that I didn't know...  

CLICK VIDEO

For more on neuropsychological testing visit this article. The test shown in the above video is very similar to the one I took, however, there was more to mine.  The video is only about 19 minutes long, my test took three hours! 

The doctor gave me the results after the test.  I had to wait for a while, but I rather do that than have to make another trip.  I read my book in the waiting room they analyzed me.  Oh boy!

The results, per the MRI I had in July and this testing, is that I have no serious brain disease, such as the beginning of Alzheimer's, etc.  Phew, that was good news.  


What he found was part of my memory issues are due to brain fog from Hashimoto's Disease and part is due to severe physiological anxiety. Basically, what he's saying is the medical issues I'm having are causing the brain to react.  Now... don't be confused.  People tend to think this means the medical issues are all in one's head.  WRONG.  (See Dealing With The Issues Associated With Hashimoto's Disease)

The medical issues are very real, the REAL issues are causing the physiological anxiety.  


Think of it this way: 
  • A person gets cancer.  I'm using cancer because people tend to understand it, know someone who has it and realize it's a REAL disease.
  • The cancer is REAL.  It's there, they see it, everyone knows it.
  • The patient isn't imagining the cancer, it's not all in their head, they are not a hypochondriac. 
  • THEY HAVE A TERRIFYING DISEASE.

Because of the REAL DISEASE, the person's brain and other organs are physically affected.  That is physiological anxiety, caused by a REAL, physical illness. (See That Doesn't LOOK Gluten Free)

No one gave themselves cancer.  Just like I didn't give myself my issues.  My physiological anxiety is BECAUSE of/CAUSED BY my issues. 


As an example, most people can carry around a file folder and it's no problem.  But for me, the file folder weighs 500lbs.  I don't mean in my imagination, I mean in reality.  Whereas everyone else carries around a normal file folder, mine literally weighs 500lbs.  After a while, what everyone else is doing normally, is causing me so much trouble that my body and brain physically react.  I dread having to pick up the folder.  I know the pain it will cause.  I know I've been very sore before from it and don't want that to happen again. I know I'm going to struggle with the folder.  I don't want to deal with the damn file folder. But I HAVE to, I have no choice.  And so... chemicals in my brain react to this stress and cause severe physiological anxiety.  

The Neuropsychologist is sending a report to the Neurologist.  I see him next week.  His recommendation is anxiety medication. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. Let's see what the Neurologist says. 


The more I HATE popping pills, the more pills they want to shove down my throat.  

I spoke to my counselor about this.  She says that sometimes people do need medication.  I will see what happens next week when I speak with the Neurologist. 

The Nutritionist

I saw the Nutritionist/Dietitian again yesterday.  The best news, I'm down another six pounds. WOOOHOOOO!!!
Not only am I down, I'm maintaining, easily.  I'm not starving, I'm not moody, blood sugar is great, all my test results are good as far as what she would be looking at.

This new Nutritionist works along with the Endocrinologist.  Which is wonderful, because she has specific knowledge of issues such as Hashimotos and Diabetes.  


I know how to eat correctly.  I've been eating correctly for years.  This new Nutritionist is not only having me eat the correct foods, she's having me eat the correct foods in the correct quantity and with other specific foods.  

It's not just a matter of watching carbohydrates or portions.  It's a matter of eating foods together that work together to control specific things in the body.  Too many people think that just eating a salad with all vegetables for lunch is a good choice.  Well... in some ways, it is.  But in other ways, it's very bad.  Without any protein or carbohydrates, you can actually be harming rather than helping!  


I am to eat a certain amount of protein, carbohydrates and vegetables at every meal, including breakfast. 

Now... my problem is also my mystery illness. (See I SEE GISTS - Many, Many GISTS)  I can't eat normally.  I'm on baby formula (my nutrition) and baby food.  My diet is very limited.  (See The Stunning Results of the Endoscopy!)


I practically live on chicken.  I'm surprised I haven't grown feathers and started clucking at this point! 

cereal, cheese, apples - not my actual food

Meals:  
 I use MyFitnessPal on my phone and I love it.  The Nutritionist has me on 1,500 calories per day.  (See Why I Love MyFitnessPal And The Most Fun Way To Burn Calories!)

Breakfast 

my cereal

1/4 cup dry gluten free, organic rice cereal
3/4 cup water added to cereal - cooked in microwave until smooth
1 - 4 oz jar of Nature's Promise organic baby food apples - mixed into cooked cereal
1 oz of either organic mozzarella or cheddar cheese (gluten free)

my formula

4 oz of my nutrition

Lunch 

3 oz Nature's Promise organic chicken breast 
4 oz organic sweet potato
5 oz green beans
1 - 4 oz jar of Nature's Promise organic baby food pears

Snack 

1 - 4 oz jar of Nature's Promise organic baby food apple banana

Dinner 

my pasta and sauce

3 oz of Tinkyada gluten free organic brown rice pasta (uncooked)
1/2 cup Paesana organic gluten free pasta sauce
2 oz organic chicken breast (cut into small pieces)
4 oz organic string beans

After everything is cooked, I mix it all together in one bowl with the sauce and enjoy. 

Exercise


Each day I do a modified Jazzercise warm-up.  Now, let's not get crazy here. I'm not jumping around like a lunatic like I used to when I took jazzercise back in the day.  Oh hell no.  I start with the neck and turn my head gently back and forth, then I go up and down and then side to side.  Then I do the shoulder movements, arm movements and leg movements.  I often do the neck, shoulder and arms sitting down. 

I try to go to the gym about three times a week, when I'm able to.  At the gym I do what I can.  I ride the bike about 10 minutes at level one.  I do some of the machines, set at 10 lbs and count to 15 with each exercise.  Sometimes I stop due to having breathing issues.  

The bottom line is, it's movement which is what the doctors and nutritionist want.  Some movement is better than no movement.  

And so... there's my tale of the Neuropsychologist and the Nutritionist.  

To follow my story: (See Someone Asked Me Today How I Deal With...)


NEW SHORT STORY MONDAY WILL POST ON MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 4, 2O17 - See below

September is National Food Safety Month - Visit these websites for more information:  Fight Bac! and Healthy Meals Resource Team  THERE ARE MANY LINKS ON THESE SITES WITH EXCELLENT INFORMATION!

Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)

Other Posts You May Be Interested In Below:  SEE SIDE BAR FOR MANY MORE POSTS



SHORT STORY MONDAY:  A new short story the first Monday of every month. Click link below for all short stories.



Blog Posts:






Visit My YouTube channel:


No comments:

Post a Comment