Search This Blog

Saturday, April 15, 2017

IT Struck Again Last Night - What Is IT????


IT struck again last night.  The monster inside me reared its ugly head. (See Why Am I Not Posting Recipes? Because IT Has Started Again!)  I really could use a Divine Intervention right about now (See Divine Intervention? Amazing Luck? Or Was It Jinxed Real Estate? You Decide)

See: How To Leave A Comment On This Blog


Per my new doctor's instruction, I went to Stony Brook ER and handed them the notes she had given me instructing them to run certain tests while IT was happening. (See My Visit With the Extraordinary New Doctor March 31, 2017).  I did not know what the tests entailed.

I gave the note to the Fast Track person, she handed it back. Then they called me for a chest Xray.  I gave the note to her.  She handed it back. Then they called me for blood work.  I gave the note to her. She handed it back. Everyone looked at it, shrugged, said they didn't know what that testing was, and said I had to wait to see the doctor.  Grrrr.

They left off some of my allergies in this print out, they forgot corn and eggs. I TOLD them to update and she said she did, but it didn't show on the print out.  Odd.
Stony Brook is a HUGE facility.  It's like it's own city.  They are partnering with Mt. Sinai and are leaders in research and innovative ideas. They just built a new building -  a children's hospital.


They are home to Carol M. Baldwin Breast Care Center.  Several family members have used the facility for breast cancer and I now see the breast surgeon there.  I have all my testing done there (routine testing).  I have been seeing a breast surgeon since around 2001 and had several procedures performed but luckily, never had breast cancer, which is a miracle on Long Island. We have a very high incidence of breast cancer.

For some Fast Facts about Stony Brook click highlighted link.


Stony Brook saved my sister's life back in November, 2016!  She had emergency surgery there by a very young, good-looking doctor of Indian descent.  I found out later, a family friend asked the doctor "does your mother know you are out doing surgery at this time of night?"  I'm told everyone cracked up.  It lightened a tense situation!

Stony Brook is a trauma center where people in bad accidents (and they happen A LOT here on Long Island) are airlifted from all over the Island to Stony Brook.  (See 12 Facts About Long Island, New York).  "Meyer and the other injured woman, Luisa S. Keszler, 26, of Southampton, were eventually airlifted from a nearby site to Stony Brook University Hospital,..."  (see story)


Across from the hospital is the University, where students from around the world study.  As a teen I took some summer classes there for fun when I was in high school.  There was a program that was called Kids For Kids!  Apparently now, it's moved to a college campus in Oakdale.


So... I went to Stony Brook.  I'd been hospitalized there before a few times.  I've visited family members who were hospitalized there.  I know many friends and family who work in the medical field, teach, study or work administrative positions at Stony Brook.  Everyone raves about their care and abilities.  And yet... if you notice, they have NO DIAGNOSIS.  Why is that?  Because no one knows what the heck IT is.


They ran the standard tests, blood work, xrays, urine, and they started an IV.  According to the Phlebotomist, everyone gets an IV now at their ER. I was sitting right outside the lab door and couldn't help but observe every patient coming out with an IV which I thought odd, but what do I know. 



When the Phlebotomist did her thing, blood started pouring down my arm, a lot of it.  What the hell? I was nervous enough, now I was starting to get really upset.  I'd never had that happen before.  She didn't think much of it.  She was just wiping me up.  I'm not blaming her.  I just think they are killing my veins maybe.  I don't know.  (See I Peeked! I Was Horrified! I was Traumatized!)


They used the IV later on to draw MORE blood to run the tests my doctor requested they run while IT was happening.  The doctor had to look at the note, decipher it, understand what the tests actually were and place the order. They couldn't add it on to the blood already drawn they said.  They needed new blood with a red cap on the vial this time!  


The test has to be sent out.  They said they will send results to my doctor and they will have a certain department also call me with results.  They didn't say when.  They sent two prescriptions to my pharmacy, Benadryl and Steroids.  Yipppeeee.  More fun.  Let's hope they can find me steroids that don't have something I'm allergic to in it! 


And so... the saga continues.  I see the Allergist/Immunologist again on April 21st as she's closed this week, assuming due to Spring Break for the kids and the Easter holiday.  Stay tuned.  



Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)

Other Posts You May Be Interested In Below:  SEE SIDE BAR FOR MANY MORE POSTS











Visit My YouTube channel:

2 comments:

  1. Feel better Doreen - I hope that maybe you will get answers from this blood work. If it makes you feel any better last time I was in the ER the same thing happen when a nurse did my IV. Another nurse came in, shook her head & cleaned me up. I think some are just more skilled then others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. I'm wondering if it's because they took 20 vials of blood the other day from that same arm in the same place. Who knows. Sorry it happened to you too. It's scary, isn't it? Let's hope they find some answers. Have a wonderful holiday!

      Delete