Search This Blog

Friday, April 7, 2017

I Peeked! I Was Horrified! I was Traumatized!


I sat down in the chair at the Lab.  Normally, I don't watch what they are doing.  For some reason, I took a quick peek at the little basket the Phlebotomist had placed next to me.  I was HORRIFIED!  

Sitting in the basket were vials of all shapes and sizes with different colored tops.  There had to be at least TWENTY!!!  Holy Crap.



I asked the Phlebotomist if I was going to make it out alive!  She laughed.  I swear she gave me an evil look. She had an evil grin on her face!   


I heard her snap on the gloves.  I think she snapped them twice, she had to have, it boomed throughout the room.  


She asked me if I drank a lot of water.  I told her I had, it's all I drink.  I even drank a bottle on the drive over.  She gave me more.  It was an evil plot.  She was going to demand I not move while it felt like my bladder would burst!!

I heard another evil giggle and she directed me to keep still and keep my arm straight.  I tried not to do the pee pee dance two-year olds have perfected!


She said she needed heat.  She was going to place heat on my arm.  Red lava was dripping down my arm, I felt the excruciating pain! 

I turned my head back just as she took hold of the the six foot needle!  She said, "take a deep breath." I did.  I'm not a religious person, but I said a little prayer too!  I figured, what could it hurt.  


"You are going to feel a stab", she sneered.  The point plunged into my arm.  She barked to stay still and straighten my arm.  My bladder screamed.  I grunted loudly.  


I was strapped to the chair THIRTY MINUTES.  Blood flowing from my veins.  My heart pounding. My bladder screaming.  The Phlebotomist sneering. 


Ok, so I have a wild imagination and am overly dramatic.  I get it.  But... I swear, that's exactly how it felt. 
  • There really were twenty or so vials. 
  • She really did put a hot compress on my arm and she did make me drink more.
  • She did tell me to take a deep breath and did say I would feel a pinch.
  • She did tell me to stay still and keep my arm straight (twice). I wasn't being cooperative apparently. 
  • I really did have to pee. 
  • I sat in the chair maybe eight minutes total! 

The Phlebotomist was a little woman, barely 5 feet tall, thin with an awesome accent. She was very professional, kind and funny.  
  • I really don't like to watch. 
  • I really did glance at the basket and was horrified to see ALL THOSE VIALS. 
  • She did laugh and say, yes, your doctor ordered the works!  

And then... when the trauma was all over, or so I thought, she handed me the dreaded HAT!!!!! NOT THE HAT!!!!!  Here we go again.  Round number four.  Another 24 hour marathon of peeing into a hat!  (See Allergies,Immunology Issues And Hospitalizations)


I did this once in the hospital and twice at home.  If there is ever a competition for peeing into a hat for 24 hours straight, I'd win the gold!  


I didn't realize the doctor had ordered that many blood tests or the 24 hour urine test.  I folded up the lab paper she gave me, as we were deep in conversation, and stuck it into my pocketbook.  I never bothered to look at it.  I simply handed it to the front desk at the lab this morning!  (See My Visit With the Extraordinary New Doctor March 31, 2017)


I spoke with the doctor's office again today.  Her staff is exceptional.  What professional, caring, friendly people.  So far, I have a lot of faith in this new doctor and her employees. I'm looking forward to my next appointment.  

We shall see.  Stay Tuned...



Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)

Other Posts You May Be Interested In:


5 Signs You Need To Go To The ER For An Allergic Reaction


What Is A Compounding Pharmacy And Do You Need One?


The Snowstorm That Wasn't - The Allergy Attack That Was


The Family I Haven't Met Yet





Wanted - Short, Dark-haired, chunky woman... You Won't Believe Witness Descriptions!


Gluten Fee Vegetable Crockpot Lasagna - All Organic


Valentine's Day With Allergies???????


Where Do I Shop For Organic, Gluten Free, And More...


Snowstorm Anxiety When You Have Allergies, Asthma, Hashimotos, Cellulitis Issues


What About Restaurants, Parties, Invites And Public Places?




Back To Basics - Organic Baby Food? The Holistic Approach


Organic, Gluten Free Crockpot Lasagna in about Three Hours






No comments:

Post a Comment