Search This Blog

Sunday, April 9, 2017

Divine Intervention? Amazing Luck? Or Was It Jinxed Real Estate? You Decide


Was it Divine Intervention?


Was it Amazing Luck?

As I said in a previous article, sometimes bad things happen to good people.  You need to count your blessings, think positive, list the pros! (See How to Deal With Life's Bizarre Challenges)


I owned a condo at one time.



One night, I had promised my daughter that when I got out of work, I would take her to the salon my sister owned at the time to have her hair done.


I was exceptionally tired that night. I didn't get much sleep as I was working and going to school, which normally wasn't an issue, but that night, I was exhausted.  I contemplated not taking my daughter.


At the time, my son was working at McDonalds (he started working there at age 14)  That night, he was 16 at the time, the family was going out somewhere, others were working, so it was up to me to pick him up from work around 8 p.m (he wasn't driving yet).

Normally, my parents or sister would drive him to work and pick him up as a favor to me.


Being I had to pick him up that night and could not go home and just rest and because I didn't want to disappoint my daughter, age 11 at the time, I took her to the salon.  Sometimes when you are at a crossroad, circumstances fall into place and the small decisions you make that seem insignificant at the time, turn out to be much more.


My daughter was thrilled to be at the salon.  We took our time, chatting with my sister and her employees after my daughter's hair was done.


After the salon, we stopped for a bite to eat and took home a meal for my son. Back then I could eat like a NORMAL person. (See What About Restaurants, Parties, Invites And Public Places?)

I dropped my son at my parents' house (he lived there) and I headed home. It was dark when I pulled up, it was about 8:45 p.m. in January.  As I approached, I saw a crowd  near my condo.  I saw yellow tape.  My heart stopped.


I thought someone had been murdered in one of the units near me. Not that there were murders in my neighborhood,  I was shocked. I couldn't put it all together. That's what came to mind.

My condo - pictures taken by my sister- l - r gaping hole (the car was INSIDE my dining area.  The central air unit destroyed.  Maintenance guys bracing the structure and boarding up the structure.  
I parked in front and saw a gaping hole in my condo.  My mind raced.  I thought, oh no, a gas explosion!  I wondered if my neighbors where ok.

A woman on the HOA board ran up to me and hugged me.  She explained that a car drove through my home!  WHAT?  My first question was, "is everyone ok." She said, yes, the young female driver was ok.  I couldn't understand what happened.


By the time I arrived home, the police and fire department were gone. The ambulance transported the driver to the hospital.  The car had been pulled out of my home and towed away.  All that was left was a crowd of onlookers, some HOA board members, condo maintenance workers and the condo insurance representative.

I called family and my parents and sister came over immediately. By that time, everyone had just gotten back home.


The Powers That Be were watching out for me that night.  Had I decided against going to the salon, I would have been in the kitchen preparing dinner at the time that car slammed into my condo.  She hit at 5:30 p.m.


I found out through the grapevine that the 18 year old driver had a seizure behind the wheel.  She had never had a seizure before.  She was diagnosed with Epilepsy for the first time after the accident. She was not speeding, she did nothing wrong.

my kitchen table, shoved up against the wall.  The tea set is behind the chair.  The Ginger Bread House survived too!
There were many miracles that night.  When the driver had the seizure, her foot slammed down on the gas and she crashed into my dining area. Amazingly, she came out with just scratches.


Thankfully, I wasn't home.  Brick, concrete, plaster, bushes  and other debris went flying through my dining area, into my kitchen area and as far back as my laundry room.  Items inside my home went flying. Chairs overturned.  Had I been in there, I would have been severely injured or killed.


My kitchen table was in front of the window.  The car pushed it across the room into the opposite wall. This all happened right after the holidays. That Christmas, my daughter got a porcelain tea set from my mom as one of her gifts.  When my daughter was there, she had set up the entire tea set on one end of the table.

Amazingly enough, even though the table was shoved across the room by the car, ready for this.... NOT ONE PIECE of that tea set tipped, broke, not even a chip!  It was all on the table like she left it. There is no explanation. 


I had a folding table in the corner with the Victorian Santa Clauses I collected on display.  That was destroyed and I lost my entire collection. The Ginger Bread house on the kitchen table survived, though a bit mangled. 


I chose to stay at my parents' house rather than a hotel, even though the insurance carrier would have paid. Professionals were sent in to clean the mess.  I had to deal with both the condo's insurance carrier (outside issues) and my own insurance carrier (inside issues). 

When I met with each adjuster, neither of them could believe that the tea set (still sitting as it had been left) survived when EVERYTHING around it was destroyed.  My daughter still has it, now packed away. 

Great video of the community

Not long after that incident, I was trying to decide if I should sell my condo.  It was a beautiful community, quiet, with friendly people.  There was a huge club house with a restaurant, gym, indoor pool and sauna, showers, recreational area, fireplace, billiards room, card room, meeting rooms. There was a huge outdoor pool and kiddie pool.  The complex had it's own golf course, tennis courts and bocce ball court.  

I finally decided to sell.  Another good choice! 
Had I been living there still, I would have been involved in a horrific fire.  The fire started behind my old unit, so I have heard.  The unit I used to own also went up in flames.  After the fire, I drove by one day.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It was so sad. 

This video is of the unit right behind the one I owned.  The one I owned was also up in flames. 


This was my exact unit.  This is the aftermath.  Holy Cow!!!! The red circle on top was my bedroom window.  The red circle below is the small bush (it isn't as big as the others because it was a replacement bush from when the car crashed through my dining area.)  They replaced it with a tiny bush so it would have taken years to grow to meet the other full-grown bushes. 
Miracle of Miracles - no one was injured or died in that horrific fire.  Had I not sold, I would have been involved in that.  Who knows if I, or anyone in the home with me, would have made it out or not.

Was it jinxed real estate?  Amazing Luck?  Divine Intervention?   No one will ever know.


Whatever it was, there's a reason it all happened the way it happened. Twice, there was a chance I could have been badly injured or killed in my OWN home!


The fire made the news.  The car crashing through my condo did not, thankfully.  I was not interested in that fiasco.  When you live in a populated place like I do, a lot goes on that doesn't make the news (See 12 Facts About Long Island, New York).  It doesn't make it any less tragic, scary or life-altering.

So, I am having some medical issues. Some are diagnosed and ONE is a  MYSTERY. See (Who Am I?)  Things could be worse. (See Why Am I Not Posting Recipes? Because IT Has Started Again!)  I always remember that when people ask me how I'm dealing with these medical problems.  (See How to Deal With Life's Bizarre Challenges)

See: How To Leave A Comment On This Blog



Please subscribe to this blog and my YouTube Channel - link below.  Share with family and friends and on Social Media!  Feel free to leave an on-topic comment, make a suggestion, share an idea or ask on-topic questions (all comments require approval)

6 comments:

  1. That was a lucky escape!
    Could be divine intervention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a story! That's crazy that that happened to you but I'm so glad that you and your family weren't there and that you ended up going to the salon. I hope that you find relief with your current health problems. Wishing the best to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Everything happens for a reason I always say!

      Delete
  3. What an amazing story. I am thankful that you are OK. I would be thanking the Lord. These experiences may give you the strength to cope with your health problems. I am sure you need that strength every single day.

    Kathleen
    Blogger's Pit Stop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty amazing. I am very thankful. Crazy stuff. Check out my latest post. IT returned last night and, yes, I needed strength, but, I made it through the night and I'm still trying to figure this mess out! Have a happy holiday.

      Delete