I've learned from personal experience and the experience of family, friends and clients, that, at least in downstate New York, doctors prefer to do their own testing. This happens when one doctor refers you to another or when you choose to switch from one doctor to another within the same specialty.
I started seeing a new Allergist and new Endocrinologist. Both ordered all their own tests. I had a sonogram of my thyroid within the past three months at my primary's office. The Endocrinologist didn't want reports or cd's from the primary.
Why do these doctors prefer their own testing?
- They want to use the facilities they are associated with.
- They may feel the equipment is more advanced.
- They trust the Professionals at the facility.
- They have a relationship and work well together..
- It avoids lawsuits.
- They can't be blamed for "missing" something due to using tests from other doctors.
- If they order their own, sometimes the same testing, sometimes the same plus more, they are considered thorough.
I called yesterday. Per his outgoing message on Monday, he was not available until yesterday. He doesn't take my insurance! Round and round we go.
I now have an appointment with someone who works alongside him. They squeezed me in on 3/31/17. I'm told the first appointment will be more than two hours long! WOW. And.... she will want to do all her own testing I'm sure.
At this point, the facilities know me on a first name basis. I don't think there's one within a 60 mile radius I haven't been sent to.
Today I see the ENT. He will probably want testing. I haven't had testing from an ENT, so this will be something new.