|My babies, Lucy (a Chiweenie - half Chihuahua, half dachshund) and Lexxi (a Morkie - half Maltese, half Yorkie)|
Five Ways Dogs Help You Feel Better:
- My pups cuddle up to me, especially when I'm sick. It's very comforting. When I have the chills, they keep me warm.
|On a Fall walk|
|Enjoying a sunny day in the yard|
- Pets keep you active. You must get up and move to care for them, clean up after them and play with them. Walking, regardless of how slow I go, is still good exercise for me and them. Taking them in the yard and playing with them keeps me moving.
|Lucy above in a Halloween costume, Lexxi above in a Halloween costume! Lucy took a comfy seat... ON Lexxi|
- They often make you laugh and as they say, "laughter is the best medicine."
|Totally relaxed position - which helps to relax humans|
- Pets ease anxiety (see Snowstorm Anxiety When You Have Allergies, Asthma, Hashimotos, Cellulitis Issues). They have the ability to detect moods and feelings in humans and react accordingly, relieving the issue somewhat.
|not my dog - sample picture|
- Pets protect. One night, my Lucy woke me with a very deep bark/growl. It was clear something wasn't right. I looked outside and hit the spotlights, A male ran from my side door. THAT was scary. Had that dog not alerted me, he may have tried to break in. He was scared off by the the dog and lights.
At the time we had five; a Shepherd mix, a St. Bernard (the pup of my first St. Bernard), two mutts and... one Chihuahua. The Chihuahua made the most noise, alerting, but the big dogs created the most fear.
Until he opened the door and was met with a St. Bernard. All he said was... "Mr., Mr. Mr." in a terrified voice. The St. Bernard was sitting in quiet waiting....
My dad still laughs telling that story 48 years later!
I have fond memories of all the dogs in my life. When I was born, I was taken home from the hospital to dogs in the home and I will never be without my precious pups. Especially now that I am having medical problems and am home all the time. They always help me to feel a bit better.
Visit My Pages: