Memorial Day Weekend is our 6th Wedding Anniversary, May 29th to be exact. We were married Memorial Day Weekend in 2011. I can't believe it's been six years!!!!!
We chose the long weekend because we could hold the wedding on Sunday and everyone had off from work and school on Monday! For those not from the New York area, school ends the last week of June here. It doesn't start back until the beginning of September, after Labor Day!
It was difficult to hold the wedding on a Saturday as many people in my immediate family work on Saturdays.
For my first wedding I had eight bridesmaids, a Maid of Honor and a flower girl. I am still friends with almost all who were in my wedding party, and of course, I still see those that are my relatives.
|l - r back - hubby, me, my daughter (Maid Of Honor) my niece, his nice, my niece, his niece|
l - r - front his niece, my nephew, family friend we consider a niece
12 Facts About Long Island, New York)
So how will we celebrate our Anniversary?
We don't celebrate during Memorial Day weekend. We are with family and friends instead. Also, on Long Island, Memorial Day Weekend is the unofficial "start" of summer! Everyone will head out East for the three day weekend (locals, people from the city and people from all over the world).
- Traffic is very heavy
- Crowds are huge
- Prices are sky high.
- Gas prices go up
- All prices go up
- Basically, you get less for more money. It's the same reason I never travelled during school breaks. I always took my kids out of school for our vacations!
- I would like to check out the new casino that opened on Long Island recently. Previously, we had to go to Connecticut or New Jersey. I just need to make sure they don't allow smoking in the casino and if there are any nearby kitchens. (See What About Restaurants, Parties, Invites And Public Places?)
- My favorite game is Craps. I also like the slot machines, which is all they have I think. When I would go to Mohegan Sun, I'd play Craps.
- Another idea is to head out East on the North Shore, not the South Shore which is the home of The Hamptons.
- The North Shore is home to Long Island's Farms and Wineries.
- Often the wineries will have live entertainment and you can sit outdoors and enjoy.
- While I can't personally taste the wine or eat anything, I can bring my own food and bottled water. Hubby can order a glass of wine and some appetizers.
- Maybe we will go see a show in NYC depending on how we both feel. We can't also do dinner, but we can see some sites too. (See Foods And Drinks That Originated In Or Are Associated With New York Part 1)
|The cruise ship my daughter is on with family and friends as I type this! This is a picture taken by one of the people in her group.|
|On my daughter's cruise - picture taken by one of the group on the cruise now.|
Things are different now. (See Time Travel - Is It Possible?) I'm limited. But... we will celebrate, somehow, some way. Whatever we do, it will be meaningful, fun, romantic and enjoyable. We may not be jetting off to Europe, but, hey, people Jet TO Long Island every day, so... I'm already HERE! Lucky me.
Always look at the pros (See Pros And Cons) even when dealing with the cons (See Oops, I Did It Again....) Remember, sometimes certain things are unexplained (See Divine Intervention? Amazing Luck? Or Was It Jinxed Real Estate? You Decide) but we must be grateful, it could be worse.
Sure I can't do what I used to do, however, I'm lucky to have been raised with a backbone and can deal with it. (See Is Society Raising A Bunch Of Pansies?)
Stay tuned... Our Anniversary Celebration pictures/ videos coming soon!
|While you enjoy your barbecues, family, friends, beaches, activities, remember what this holiday is REALLY about.|
BE SAFE, BE CAREFUL, BE SMART - ENJOY THE LONG HOLIDAY WEEKEND AND REMEMBER: DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!
Holiday Safe Ride Program
See: How To Leave A Comment On This Blog
It''s A Three Ring Circus And You Can Watch LIVE!
What We Did In The Waiting Room Would Shock Anyone Under 30 UPDATED